Thursday, February 17, 2011

New Baby!

Okay, so I have been out of commission on my blog here for a couple weeks on account of my wife giving birth to our new baby girl. This makes seven children total for us, but she is the first joint effort. Needless to say, I have been a bit busy helping out with domestic chores and running other children.

This time off has allowed me time to brainstorm and rethink some of my story ideas. I am fleshing out some characters and have followed some of David Farland's/Wolverton's advice from his daily writing kicks. Much of that information is invaluable to revisit when you are at various points in writing.

I am currently trying to make my ideas for character more interesting. One of my weaknesses as a new-ish writer is that I get into a story and find that I just don't have enough conflict or mystery to make it interesting. As a result my writing grows stale. It falls flat. The outcome is yet another unfinished story that I have become bored with. I reviewed Mr. Farland's essay's on outlining. I highly recommend it for anyone in my shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment